Dr. Gena Schultheis and associates offer holistic gum disease treatments to fight periodontal disease. When you receive this treatment, our dentists will carefully evaluate your mouth and design your treatments to address the underlying issues that may be causing or contributing to gum disease so that you can improve your oral health. To schedule a consultation and learn more about holistic gum disease treatment in Annapolis, Maryland, call Annapolis Green Dental today at 410-224-4500.
Periodontal disease is caused when bacteria inflame and infect your gum tissue. If left untreated, the disease can progress from a minor inflammation to a severely damaging condition, eventually resulting in tooth loss, gum recession and bone loss. Some common symptoms of periodontal disease are:
- Easy bleeding of the gums
- Pain when chewing
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Redness, swelling, pus or other signs of infection
- Persistent bad breath
- Changes in your bite
- Loose teeth
- Gum recession
Our dentists and team use holistic treatment methods to help bring gum disease under control and promote the healing and regeneration of your gums. By addressing dietary or other health issues, we can halt the progression of the disease and give you better long-term results for your oral health. There are several steps involved in receiving a holistic treatment, including:
- A comprehensive oral exam and consultation — This includes a full oral exam and an in-depth review of your dental and medical history.
- Saliva and oral DNA testing — This assists our dentists in measuring and identifying the type of bacteria causing the disease.
- The relation of your overall health to gum disease — As gum disease contributes or exacerbates several systemic conditions, including diabetes and heart disease, our dentists may coordinate your treatment with your medical physician.
- Ultrasonic scaling — This removes hard deposits of plaque and disease-causing bacteria.
- Laser treatment — This helps to kill any remaining bacteria, remove diseased tissue and stimulate your body’s natural healing capabilities.
- Periodyne® natural oils — a supplemental treatment to reduce inflammation and bleeding of the gums.
- Oral probiotics — to promote the growth of healthy bacteria.
- Patient education and nutritional recommendations — to help control gum disease and address possible underlying issues
- Flap surgery — a type of gum surgery recommended to remove bacteria lodged deep under the gumline.
- Gum and bone grafting — to restore tissue that has deteriorated or become diseased as a result of periodontal disease.
If you have any questions about holistic periodontal treatments or if you want to schedule your consultation, please contact our office today.