Our team here at Annapolis Green Dental is committed to maintaining an eco-friendly dental office in Annapolis, Maryland, and minimizing our impact on the environment. We are passionate about going green and providing dental services that are eco-friendly and ease our burden on the environment as well as promote your oral and overall health. We invite you to call us at 410-224-4500 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Gena Schultheis and associates and learn more about our eco-friendly dental office!
What Is Green Dentistry?
Green dentistry is a broad topic that refers to providing care that involves using environmentally friendly products and practices. It places our patients’ well-being at the forefront of our practice so that we can provide high-quality care as well as promote a better environment within and outside of our office.
The Eco Dentistry Association® defines a “green dental practice” as a dental office that:
- Reduces waste and pollution
- Saves water, energy and money
- Incorporates high-tech innovations
- Is wellness-based
Using eco-friendly and non-toxic products benefits the environment as well as your overall health. Our practice uses only non-toxic materials when providing your care and keeping our office and equipment clean. We go the extra mile to eliminate waste by using alternatives to plastic material and recycling whenever possible. We are also careful with our use of vital resources such as water.
Some Facts About Dental Offices
Dental offices generate the following annually:
- Eight million lead foils (used in packaging dental X-ray film)
- 28 million liters of toxic X-ray fixer
- Seven tons of mercury waste
- Seven billion sterilization pouches
- 680 million chair covers, light handle covers and patient bibs
Dental offices also use significant amounts of water, with the average dental practice using as much as 57,000 gallons of water each year. Annapolis Green Dental uses a special dry vacuum system to help reduce the amount of water used in our office.
Our Commitment to Going Green
Our dentists and team have taken significant measures to “go green.” Here are a few of the steps we have taken to reduce our impact on the environment:
- Using cloth headrest and chair covers, recycled glass cups, and other environmentally friendly materials to reduce the use of plastics and disposable supplies used in our office.
- Using eco-friendly disinfectants and multi-purpose cleaners.
- Eliminating the use of toxic sterilizers by using a heat sterilization system.
- Using digital X-rays to eliminate chemical waste.
- Recycling cardboard, paper and plastic.
- Collecting and recycling ink and toner cartridges.
- Using rechargeable batteries.
- Providing our patients with toothbrushes made from recycled materials, such as yogurt containers or bamboo, and recycling the disposable toothbrushes used by our patients in our office.
- Compositing our kitchen waste.
- Providing filtered drinking water in our office.
- Making sure to buy products made from at least 50% recycled material and which come in recycled packaging if we must purchase disposable products.
- Printed communication and stationery in our office that uses paper that is at least 25% recycled.
- Using electronic communication and paperless charting whenever possible.
- Printing and copying double-sided whenever possible.
- Using VOC-free or low-VOC wallpaper adhesive, paints, carpets and vinyl, as well as natural stone countertops.
- Using LED lighting, motion detectors, and energy-saving computers, washers, dryers and dishwashers.
- Using furniture made from renewable sources, including reclaimed wood.
- Using hand sanitizer instead of soap and water whenever possible.
- Turning off the faucet when brushing your teeth.
- Continuing education about green dentistry.
- Participating in non-profit efforts focused on preservation of the Chesapeake Bay area.
- Using only BPA-free adhesives and sealants.
- Maintaining a sugar-free candy bar.
- Using steam disinfecting units with reusable cloth instrument pouches.
- Purifying our own water for the treatments we provide.
Give us a call today to find out more about green dentistry and schedule your consultation with our dentists and team. We look forward to helping you care for your smile!